This Great Church, of cathedral dimensions, is one of Edam's proudest possessions.
It is not known exactly when the church was founded, but it was definitely after the Kleine Kerk and probably at the beginning of the 15th century. Edam suffered two very extensive fires in 1602 and 1699, both of which had apparently been caused by lightning striking the church tower. When rebuilt, the height of the tower was purposely reduced and from the wall anchors in the shape of numerals, one can assume that this was done in 1701.
Special features: The stained glass windows - all donated after the fire of 1602 and donated by the important towns such as Amsterdam, Dordrecht, Haarlem; the wooden vaulted ceiling; the inscription of the Ten Commandments; the hieroglyphs on the gravestones in the floor ('hand marks'); the beautiful oak choir screen; the fine brass work distributed around the church and the great organ - built in 1663 by Barend Smit from Hoorn.
To visit the chuch: From 2 april till 23 october between 01.30 till 5.00 p.m.